karmba

Reading Across the Country

Reading books one travel week at a time...
The Fallback Plan - Leigh Stein Maybe if I had drifted aimlessly after college this book would resonant with me more. I was (and still am) the type of person that would take just about any job if it meant I didn't have to move back in with my parents. That's how I ended up in insurance with a MA in Politics....but that's another story. While I was reading this book, I just wanted to shake Esther (the main character) and yell in her face "What are you doing with your life?".

I'm only 25 - so I'm part of the generation that should "get" this book. I know people like the characters in this book, and most of them are more interesting than these characters. Most of the situations are predictable, and by the end of the book Esther is no closer to realizing what she wants to do with her life. It would have been more satisfying if at the end she would have felt some purpose - even if that purpose was finding a job! At least her slacker friends had part time jobs - even if there were terrible.

I understand the purpose and the point of this book - however that doesn't make it any less frustrating to this reader.