karmba

Reading Across the Country

Reading books one travel week at a time...
Deadlocked - Charlaine Harris I'm not sure what it is about this series that makes me read the books obsessively. They are poorly written, the characters are only semi-interesting (except Eric) and the plots have gotten more and more thin over the years. I suppose it's like the Bones series - I enjoyed the first 5-6 books, so I have to keep reading to see how it all turns out.

This book finds Sookie and Eric at a crossroads. There is a small mystery about a dead girl and a vampire queen - but the main "question" in this book is what is happening to Sookie and Eric's relationship. As a conflict goes, this one is kind of swept under the rug and ignored by Sookie - even though it looms in the background and affects every decision she makes.

I don't think this book deserves 3 stars - it's clearly just a space filler until the final book is published next year. But it's hard for me to rate any book in this series lower than a 3. And it does shed some light on who Sookie will end up with at the end - and sorry but it's not a huge surprise and anyone paying any attention to the first 11 books will have seen it coming a mile away.